Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Our day


Back from another morning at Abenezer orphanage!! We started off the day with a coffee ceremony at  Afroland (our accomodations) with 2 other families... Neither RIley or I  are coffee drinkers, however...there is something different about Ethiopian coffee! It was amazingly good! We were then picked up by our driver and headed off to Abenezer orphanage. Today we got to visit more with the director, Elizabeth and hear her heart for her ministry...she is such a blessing to the kids and all the people who work with her. There is definitely a lot on her plate, which I will share more with another day. WE then got a tour of the entire grounds...where the sleep, cook, eat, play. I took pictures of nearly everything!

We also got the privilege of going into the baby house...my heart nearly got taken out of my body. These are precious, precious children...and thank goodness for people and places like Abenezer. We experienced the same feelings when we were in South Africa just over three years ago. The little babies didn’t take their eyes off me, wanting to smile but also not sure who I was...there was a new little one, whose twin brother was in hospital at the time..who couldn’t have been more than 4 pounds. I prayed for her right then and there..so precious with such a fight ahead of her. All the nannies were doting on her and talking lots about her so they are definitely doing their absolute best for her (with what they have). Then we had a chance to see the toddler room...melt my heart. I got down on the floor and had instantly 8 little ones climbing on me and wanting attention. a few more just hung back and watched and smiled, and a few more sttod beside their nannies watching every detail... So fun to see their personalities shine through. I am not sure if it was me or my hair they were most interested in! But either way, I love that age.

The rest of the visit we got to hang out with our boys and their friends. My camera got taken (ha!)by Abenezer and Henok and passed around! There are some great pics I would have NEVER gotten of all the boys being goofy. Will have to do that again! The 2 younger boys are connecting really well to Riley, using him like a jungle gym. They learned the english word all done today:) Henok is a little older so went back and forth between friends and us, playing soccer, hanging out etc. He is so observant and polite, with a great smile! We ended the visit with another wonderful coffee ceremony...Every time we go, it is getting harder to leave..I guess that is a good thing! 

jungle gym:)


Great smile:)

no words needed:)

We then went for lunch with new friends, stopped at a book store and got our first purchases! We hope to connect with them later today and do some more shopping...it makes a world of difference to have someone here who has been here before! So until tomorrow...cheers!! 

AND tomorrow3for3 begins..Joni, a good friend of ours is running 143km in honor of our family to support our adoption...if you are interested in finding out more or supporting her, check out www.3for3.webs.com.


Blessings,
Candra

1 comment:

  1. Riley - I LOVE that picture of you with your 2 boys.
    They look good on you :)

    ReplyDelete