Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Riley's Odd Thanksgivings


Riley's Odd Thanksgivings - but ones I have literally found myself thanking God for in the moment

I’m thankful that Candra made it home safe even if her luggage did not.... 

I’m thankful that out of all the days I’ve been here in Ethiopia, there has been at least one day that on the way to the orphanage I did not witness a man taking a leak in plain view.  

I’m thankful that only 2/6 rooms in our guesthouse have someone that has experienced an attempted mugging or actual robbery during a 24 hr period in the nearby area.  Honestly, the one guy is lucky he didn’t get hurt.  He went to the ATM 3 hrs after dark - alone...  The other woman was in broad daylight at no fault of her own - our friend/taxi driver chased down the guy while trying to whip him with his coat.  Wish I could have seen that!  Thankful no one from the guesthouse was seriously hurt.

I’m thankful that my older 2 sons here in Ethiopia did not offer me a bite of the cooked sheep testicle they were eating earlier in the week.  Not sure I could have stomached it!

I’m thankful that I usually see no more than 2 white people per day outside of the guesthouse (walking or driving - I spend 40-60 minutes in a taxi each day to get to the orphanage depending on traffic).  I really enjoy being in other cultures!

I’m thankful that walking down the street, I get stared at more for carrying a thick textbook than because I’m white.  It was actually a little un-nerving that everyone kept watching the 600 page purple-covered book in my hand - I never got a second look before I had that book....  Bizarre.

I’m thankful for a coke at the end of each day when the cautious optimism I started the morning with slowly evaporates over the course of another day...

I’m thankful that I get to be in Addis for the World Cup qualifier between Ethiopia & Nigeria today.  30,000 tickets go on sale only 4 hours before the match & you can only get tickets in person....  People are literally walking over 100km just to try to get 10 burr seats (about $0.50 cdn).  It’s a big deal!  The streets are one big party (if they aren't already shut down)!

And finally, since I’m so far away from my other 4 wonderful kids & amazing wife, I’m thankful for some new Canadian friends to share Thanksgiving with this weekend - looking forward to a “home-cooked” meal with Karen, Opsa, Rob, Candy, & Ephraim!

No comments:

Post a Comment