Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

My 4 last days...day 1

The next 4 posts are to chronicle my last 4 days in Ethiopia...I can't believe that. 4 days. I am home now with my sweet 4 children at home tucked into bed. This trip was amazing, although not quite what w had expected in terms of bringing the boys home... But I left with a love and deep sense of beauty  for this African country...my 3 boys beautiful birth country. I will be back but don't know when. Feel free to read on, but know that they are written only so that my memories of each day don't fade! Enjoy....

Sunday, October 6

Each day we are here makes it more difficult to consider leaving. I would love to (and will in the future) explore more of this beautiful country. The first trip was one of culture shock, trying to get our bearings and focus on meeting the boys. This trip - I am really trying to soak in the culture and be open to what it may look like for me and for our family in the future. 

Today we had the opportunity to go with all of the Canadian families up Entoto mountain. There was a very old church at the top and also a museum with many well preserved artifacts of church and royal history. 
On the way up the mountain, it was dreary and rainy. More than that, there was absolute poverty. Many women carry HUGE bundles of wood up this mountain as a way to make a very small living. But the weight that they are under affects bone development, posture and leaves them with lifelong pain and injury. There are many people trying to change that and offer a different option but the need remains great. 

At the top of the mountain we got out of of our taxi ( in rain:)) and went directly into the museum. A couple of my top favourites....the bible- each page made out of sheep skin and carefully written on complete with beautiful designs....and the currency in Ethiopia- now it is about 20:1 but in the 1930's it was 1:1! We then went on a tour of the church area and monastery, dating back to the 1800's. The tour was great with our guide giving us many historical facts but there was something else that absolutely broke me. At the bottom of the hill, just beside the church was a huge group of people. Many were in wheelchairs, some with crutches, some missing limbs ( leprosy etc.) And in front of them...in the rain...was a very large pile of clothes. And each one of them we waiting for these wet clothes. I took a very quick picture but the picture etched in my mind is far greater. Each of these people matter to God. And I can't imagine His sadness when he sees His people suffering. I silently said a prayer for those people as I walked on with our group. 

After a quick tour cut short due to the rain, we headed back into Addis and dropped of Riley ( feeling sort of sick) and one of the moms and her little one. The rest of us went to a restaurant called 'oh Canada' for lunch. Fun to be in a restaurant surrounded by Canadian flags!
Trying to fit as much in as possible...we went to Abenezer orphanage after I got back to visit the boys. It was good as all the children were home and so we got some more pictures and got to play with all of them. I had brought some counting cards with pictures on one side and numbers on the other. They all had some great fun with these!! and my favorite...when asked what a beaver was, one beautiful girl called them Canada cats!!!

 Henok was a bit quiet today and reserved. I think each of them are struggling to comprehend why they are still at the orphanage when we are here. It is hard to say goodbye each day, but important to be patient so that this can all follow due process. But can I just say how great each of our boys are. beautiful smiles ( some toothless), sense of humor, soccer skills, great laughs and long eyelashes ( all 5 of my boys have this- so lucky!). all in all a very busy day but a blessed day. Ended it off with a mini date night with Riley- TV shows and chocolate from home.....

one of those beautiful smiles


Blessings,
Candra


No comments:

Post a Comment