Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Everybody needs their daddy...

So last night was not a great goodnight ritual. The kids were having a lot of difficulty falling asleep and I was definitely not at my best as a mom. Impatience and frustration are 2 words that come to mind. Things were not going well and right in the middle of trying to get them all down the phone rings. My husband has been away for 10 days on an incredible ministry trip, for which I am super proud of him and excited about the ways God continues to use him. Anyways, he called and as I was trying to talk to him and I was trying to not-so-calmly get the kids to bed, he asked to say goodnight to the kids. I put the phone to little princess' ear and through tears she said goodnight daddy. I don't know what else he said to her but she calmed down instantly and there was a certain peace about her. A daddy's love and assurance are so important in the life of the child and I saw it transform her right before my eyes.

Fast forward to about 10 o'clock at night as I was about to go to sleep. I thought I would go downstairs to watch a little bit of TV when I heard THAT sound. The sound of a mouse...ugghhh. In my dryer vent that heads outside. With no husband around ( who I am afraid would not have been a great help in this particular scenario...for those of you who know him, you will know why - I love you babe!)
I of course called my dad. My dad is great - he always has a solution for fixing things. So after walking me through what sounded like a good idea, I hung up the phone. He told me to phone back after I finished.
So I took off the vent tubing and put a plastic bag around it. Filled a rubbermaid with water, Duct taped the hose to the rubbermaid, ensuring it was pointing downward. Took the plastic bag off. started the dryer. And in about 30 seconds flat the rodent was swimming around in the water. Outside went the container. up went the dryer vent (with a temporary fix of duct tape).
And voila, no mouse.
genius. My dad that is.
I phoned him back in a matter of minutes and thanked him for the idea. An then I went peacefully to sleep.

Two daddies needed, 2 girls very content!

Blessings,

Candra

No comments:

Post a Comment