Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

a year ago...and today.

It is one year from today that I heard my husband's voice over the phone quietly and calmly say "we have a son"....

I had left for Regina the day before for a continuing education course for my job. It was, amazingly, a course on attachment and the neurological basis for attachment.  I was sitting in the middle of the first day when the organizer of the course pulled me aside and said that I needed to call my husband as it was extremely urgent. My heart was racing because my grandma had been quite ill and I was worried that this was news about her (she is doing very well now, praise God!). So I phoned him and said hello....he answered with a very shaky voice "hello"....i asked if everything was alright (and by now I am going into panic mode) and he said those 4 beautiful words "we have a son"!
In that moment, I was shocked, overwhelmed, excited, giddy, terrified in a good way (cause now I had 4 kids!) and I sat in the office waving my arms around cause I couldn't jump, scream or hug anyone. I bowed my head and thanked God, because only through Him was this possible.  The organizer popped her head in again to ask if everything was OK and I briefly explained the scenario.... She told me to look up onto her shelf and there were multiple pictures of her son. She said with a big smile "congratulations, we adopted our son 21 years ago!". Wow.  After looking at the beautiful pictures of him on the computer I returned to the course where some of my colleagues were quite concerned. They asked me if everything was OK and I could hardly speak. I had printed off a picture of him and just held it up. One of my friends (and colleague) gave me a huge hug and said congrats!! She to has a daughter she adopted almost 16 years ago. Wow.
The course was amazing. I use what I learned at work and home quite a bit. There is so much (much more than I understand) about attachment and attachment theory but that is for another post.I also got to celebrate with friends and my husband and the kids (over the phone) and just soak it in....
It is amazing to remember the moment because time stood still. In an instant I was a mom to four. The culmination of the paperwork and a completely different process than birth had been completed and here we stood. Thousands of miles separated but knowing that our son was waiting for us.

Fast forward to this year. I have been so blessed over the last week by stories of adoption and people considering adoption.

We have friends who have several kids and are starting the process of adoption!
We have friends in the states who just passed court in Ethiopia...a step closer to bringing their baby girl home!
We met with friends last night who are waiting for their referral and were so blessed by their perspective and trust in God.
I received two emails this week, asking for help on where to start with adoption in Saskatchewan.
A friend from work - her brother & wife - just found out that they received their Visa for their little girl and are on there way to pick her up this week!
We met about run143 last night and there are now dates!!! Come join the fun...

I say all this because these are some incredible stories of how, I believe God is moving, to "set the lonely in families". Meeting our son "on paper" feels like yesterday, and yet we have been blessed with a year already of knowing Him. We are truly blessed that we get to be his mommy and daddy...love you little man!

Blessings,
Candra

4 comments:

  1. Happy 1 Year since you "met" your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coming home from work and Ryan telling me the news and then rushing over to celebrate with your family!! What a special, special time. Love you guys more than you know and miss you tons!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your anniversary of a day that will change your life forever. It's truly amazing how we are able to meet these amazing children of ours from the other side the world. It's a true blessing. Welcome to your forever family little man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize it has been a whole year. So glad to have found a fellow blogger. I think this will be a good read for me...

    j

    ReplyDelete