Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

lesson number 4

4th thing I have learned....

Community exists everywhere- you just have to be willing to jump in and be a part of it.

Moving cities, let alone to a different province was not in my 5 year plan! We had spent the last 13 years in Saskatoon and in that time we had cultivated relationships and been intentional aboutgrowing and developing community. this was the longest I had ever lived anywhere and it truly felt like home. When I finally came around to recognizing and accepting the call that had been placed in our lives to move, I knew that part of this was going to be creating a new community for our family.
I am so thankful for our friends in Saskatoon and continue to look forward to our times together- whether in person, Skype or by email! The type and amount of conversations have been altered but knowing that we are still there for each other provokes gratefulness and thankfulness - we put the effort in when we could and it has paid off big time!
So when we were preparing to move, I prayed feverently that we would find people we could connect with, that we could develop friendships with, that we could live life with. And even though it shouldn't be a big surprise, God showed BIG TIME. The beginning of these relationships have been firmly planted-

** Riley's job has blessed us with a community already available. The people that he works with are amazing, supportive and welcomed our family with open arms. Not to mention all of the students who love our kids and are willing and want to hang out with them! Our oldest is over there helping in the kitchen as I write :)

** We knew what church we would be attending before we arrived and I was anxious ( still am some days) because we have always been in pastoral ministry and to be together as part of a church body without Riley at the front and me keeping 4 kids under control was foreign! But we have met some great people and families. Just 2 weeks before we moved here another family moved here, who has 5 kids, the oldest being good friends with our oldest son and their twins being the same age as little man ( and also adopted)! God's timing is amazing- they have become good friends and part of our life group as well!

**as many of you know, my heart for orphan care and adoption runs deep. I felt that just before we left SK, I was beginning to have stirrings of doing more, speaking more, serving more. I put those thoughts on the back burner as we settled our family and started all of our adoption paperwork in AB. Soon after we got here, we started talking to people who wanted to adopt. We met adoptive families everywhere it seemed, even on the playground one evening. I met another woman who is planning to adopt a child from the country she was born in. We skyped with good friends and heard about their desire to adopt. I have made initial connections with families around AB and my heart is stirred up again!! God showed me loud and clear that their are people everywhere with similar passion and values and that He can use me regardless of my geographical location.

** God has placed a woman in my life who has been before me and has been such an encouragement . This alone, at this time in my life is such a good thing.

I could go on, but suffice to say that I have learned that if I am open and trusting, God continues to provide- and provision of friendships, a church community and all the other people who we talk with regularly is a good...good...thing.

Blessings,

Candra

No comments:

Post a Comment