Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Conferencing....

It has been a good day. I took my 2 older kids to three way conferences today and heard marvelous things about them. They are both doing so well and I am super proud of them. Then I got to spend some time at home with all 4 of them before heading out for the afternoon. My husband and I are attending an adoption conference this weekend, which started today. Got an eggnog chai to start and then sat back and listened to a fantastic speaker. Some key things I took out of today:

*** That loss is in inherent in adoption. Loss in the child's life. Loss in the life of the birth parent. Loss of culture. Etc. I have read a lot about this but it was good to hear someone talk about it. At first, I don't think I fully understood how important it is to understand this. As a mom, I want to protect all my children from hurting and loss but I can't. I can pray for them, talk with them and learn all I can about how to help them so that when questions come and feelings are drawn out, that they have a safe place to fall and be safe and be loved.

*** Sensory learning is so important in adoption. The speaker spoke about replicating the child's sensory experiences that they have had as they are welcomed into the family. Things like sounds they are familiar with, food they like, letting the child assist with choices about decorating their room. I don't think we thought a lot about this with little man. he has done incredible thus far and has attached so well. As an aside, today he said I was leaving " I miss you". Too sweet. Anyways, I think with the child we are waiting for this will be so important as he/she have had so many more experiences/ preferences etc. It was a good reminder today.

*** I think that last thing I took away from the conference is that we are doing good as parents. and as adoptive parents. Usually I am pretty good at picking out what I am not doing. But today it was good just to learn and to take some things out of it that we can work on. To realize that some of it we have thought about are doing . And we gained a broader perspective on adoption as a whole and all the people involved.

Looking forward to more conferencing tomorrow!

The rest of the night was family movie night and cuddle night. Just a how a good night should end!

Blessings,
Candra

No comments:

Post a Comment